Pastor Vijay Kummaragunta
Wednesday, 8 June 2011
How to became a Christian
A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. A Christian has a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, tries to obey Him in all things, and draws on His strength to help with problems.
God made us for Himself and our souls are restless until they find rest in Him. Only God can fill the void in your life. The answer to your search is accepting Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life. To become a Christian, you need to know these basic facts from the Bible.
• God loves you. Because of God’s love for all persons, He desires for you to have a personal relationship with Him. (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:4-5)
• You are a sinner. All persons are sinners in that they disobey God. Sin is choosing your own way and doing your own thing as opposed to being obedient to God. (Isaiah 53:6; Romans 3:10)
• You can’t save yourself. People often think that through their efforts they can overcome the sin barrier between themselves and God. That is not true. There is nothing you can do to restore the broken relationship with God. You cannot earn God’s salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 4:4-5)
• God sent His Son Jesus to remove the sin barrier. The death on the cross of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, removed the sin barrier between you and God. Jesus died for your sins, taking your punishment on Himself. God did for you in Jesus Christ what you could not do for yourself. (I Peter 2:24; Romans 5:8; II Corinthians 5:21)
• You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. Faith is trusting in what Jesus has done for you rather than trusting your own efforts to restore fellowship with God. Faith is complete reliance on Christ to put you in the right relationship with God, allowing Him to live His life through you. Faith also involves repentance or genuine sorrow for sin and willingness to turn away from sin. (John 14:6; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9-10)
• Through prayer you can trust in Jesus Christ. Admit to God that you are a sinner. Express sorrow or repentance for your sinfulness. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Invite Jesus into your life as Savior and Lord. Thank Him for entering your life. Commit yourself to live for Him.
Accepting Christ is the beginning. After accepting Him, be obedient by following Christ in baptism and by uniting with a church. When you do, you will find that life truly does have purpose and meaning. Talk with another Christian about your decision for Christ.
If you have received Christ, would you please Contact Us?